Keeping morale up is part of every manager’s job. The office environment can be stressful, and it’s easy for employees to feel unappreciated. Here are five ways to let your staff know you appreciate the job they do:
- Pay them fairly. Money isn’t the only thing that makes employees happy at work, but it definitely helps! Your staff salaries need to compare favorably to market rates. Make sure you pay people doing equivalent work equivalent salaries.
- Treat employees with respect. Your employees are adults. Don’t micromanage their time; within true business needs, allow them the flexibility to make their own schedule or work from home.
- Treat employees as people. Make an effort to get to know your staff beyond their technical abilities. Everybody has a life outside the office, and hobbies and people that are important to them. If you relate to your employees as if they’re people, not just workers, they feel more cared for.
- Celebrate success. When there’s a team victory, celebrate it. This doesn’t have to be a fancy shindig; even a team pizza party lets people come together and share good feelings. If there’s no budget, at least celebrate success by announcing it at departmental meetings and publicly thanking the people who made particular contributions. Be specific—”thank you for your hard work” isn’t as meaningful as a thank you that names exactly what they did.
- Provide opportunities to grow. Show you care about your employees by encouraging them to develop and grow. Prompt your team to take training, and assign them “stretch” assignments to let them extend their abilities. Find out the career path they want to pursue and work with them to make it happen.
When you have an office environment that values employees, your team wants to stay with you, and job candidates feel the positive atmosphere and want to join you. If you’re looking to add to your team, contact InReach IT Solutions to find out how we can help you hire your next valuable employee.